ENJOY!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Good Dentist Trip...finally!

Sammie had a dentist appointment yesterday and we were both very anxious about it as we haven't had very good experiences in the past. With our last couple of visits (between 2 dentists), she would barely let them count her teeth, much less clean them. And you know how they show you what the tools feel like on your finger...yeah, you could forget that!!
The Lord answered my prayers yesterday! We went to see Dr. Salmon (he replaced Dr. Mims) and Sammie was very quiet and scared in the waiting room, but as soon as the door opened and they called her name, her whole attitude changed!! There at the door was one of her favorite people from Children's church!!! AMEN!!!! Mrs. Jennifer helps out with Children's church and Sammie just absolutely loves her.
At first, Sammie wanted to lay in my lap, which was very difficult for both Jennifer and I, but we made it work. She was afraid of the sharp tool that scrapes the plaque off of your teeth, but Mrs. Jennifer showed mommy and Sammie how it felt and she was ok with it. About half way through, Sammie sits up, looks at me and says, "Mommy, I need for you to get up, I can handle this"...so, I did...and she did.
Next it was time for Mrs. Jennifer to brush and shine those puppies! It all started out ok and Sammie was excited that it smelled like bubble gum, but she quickly found out that it didn't taste as good nor did it have the same texture and that was it. She was done! We got plaque off of all the teeth, but only got 3 or 4 brushed and shined. Oh well, that's the farthest we've gotten so far!
You can't really tell here, but she IS smiling!
Dr. Salmon came in to visit once Mrs. Jennifer was done and he counted Sammie's teeth and checked them all. Annnd, confirmed that she does in fact need surgery. He told me that if I wanted him to, he would be willing to attempt everything in office with a 5mg Valium, but that she may have an opposite reaction to it and he doesn't want to ruin the good relationship that they had kickstarted. And it was a good one, Sammie loved him!
Instead of giving me a list of doctors to visit and pick from, he gave me a specific dentist that he uses regularly for these types of situations and said that he had just sent someone her age with the same problems to him last month and he did a spectacular job.
He said that she has so many problems going on that it would be safer, cheaper, and the best route just to put her under and get it all done at once. Matt and I talked it over last night and I'm going to try to find out how much this would cost FIRST and then go visit with the doctor and go from there. I would hate to not go ahead and get it fixed and have to deal with something worse down the road, but I also would hate to put my 4 year old child through something like this. Prayers please!!
OH! and she has a loose tooth!! Her right front tooth is a little wiggly!!
This one is just for fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment